Most people have an email account from more than one provider. So starting today, Yahoo Mail users can connect and manage their email accounts from Outlook.com, Hotmail and AOL Mail, right from Yahoo Mail on mobile and desktop. Once connected, users can access Yahoo Mail’s features across all their mailboxes. (The ability to manage multiple mailboxes is rolling out globally today in the Yahoo Mail app. The desktop experience is currently available for U.S. English users, and will be coming soon to users outside of the U.S.)
“Email is the most prevalent way people communicate online. However, what we want from our inbox is evolving. Mobile use requires a faster and smarter inbox,” said Jeff Bonforte, Senior Vice President of Communication Products at Yahoo. “Both of these needs are at the center of our new app.”
In addition to speed, smarts and support for multiple mailboxes, the new app marks the introduction of Yahoo Account Key – a more secure and simple future alternative to the old password. This new feature simplifies the sign-in process with a secure and easy-to-use interface to access a Yahoo account with the tap of a button.
The New Yahoo Mail App - Product Features
Speed is very important to our users, so we’ve dedicated a lot of time enhancing the performance of the entire app. From the moment you open Yahoo Mail, the app is snappy, actions are responsive and transitions are smooth and quick.
Right from the start, you will notice the new app is clean, intuitive and beautiful. Here are some examples of the key design elements:
- Photos: Yahoo Mail is the only major mail service that can connect to Twitter, Linkedin and Facebook, so you’ll see great photos from senders more often.
- Avatars: No ugly avatars. In most apps, if they can’t get a photo, they will insert a gray contact icon or maybe a colorful letter. But the contrast of photos and default avatars looked ugly to us, so we partnered with Flickr to show the sender’s initials from a photo curated from our library of gorgeous Flickr images.
- Contact cards: No email app knows the people in your inbox better than the new Yahoo Mail app. Tap anyone in an email to see any contact information they’ve shared with you - name, company, title, email history, even recent tweets. Yahoo Mail maintains it all for you, automatically, even when someone’s not in your address book.
- Swipe to triage: Swiping right on a message marks it read or unread. Swiping left deletes the message.
- Long press to select more than one message: Want to move or delete a lot of messages at once? Simply tap and hold on a message and you are in multi-select mode. Don’t worry if you make a mistake, you can easily undo the recent action.
- Get your news in Yahoo Mail: Need a break from your inbox? Check the top stories on Yahoo with a tap on the Yahoo news icon in the top right corner.
Forget scrolling and foldering, Yahoo Mail’s new search lets you find a message, photo or attachment with just a few taps.
- Most people search for things by the sender (either person or company), so we’ve made that the fastest and easiest way to search. Give us a couple of letters of a person’s name, and we’ll suggest the most likely contact. Your results automatically organize into messages, photos and attachments you’ve exchanged. Or maybe it’s something you sent, just toggle the results to show messages you’ve sent to that person.
- Of course, sometimes you want to search by keyword, and the app will make smart suggestions; results are more relevant and we search across messages, photos and attachments.
Compose Better Email
We’ve made it even easier to create and send beautiful, effective emails.
- Attach photos or videos from your phone easily by clicking on the “+” icon on your new message. Photos and videos appear right in your email, scaled automatically. Prefer to attach rather than show the photos in the message, just tap the “...” on the photo to convert it to a regular attachment.
- A lot of people send emails to themselves with reminders and notes throughout the day (we call these “me” mails). To quickly send yourself an email, just long-press the compose button.
Beyond Your Yahoo Mail Account
Most people have more than one email account. Now you can enjoy all the power of the new Yahoo Mail app (and our desktop interface) with your other mailboxes including Outlook.com, Hotmail, AOL Mail and, of course, Yahoo.
For each connected mailbox, you now have access to Yahoo Mail’s features – powerful search, smart contacts and auto-suggest, rich compose – across all your emails. The ability to manage multiple mailboxes is rolling out globally today in the Yahoo Mail app. The desktop experience is available for U.S. English users today and will be coming soon to users outside of the U.S.
Yahoo Account Key
No matter where you are on the internet, passwords are a pain. We’re happy to announce a big step forward to a password-free future with Yahoo Account Key. Account Key uses push notifications to provide a fast and secure way for you to access your Yahoo accounts from your smartphone. It frees you from memorizing complicated passwords, making signing-in to your Yahoo Mail app easy as tapping a button. Get started today!
We’re delighted to bring you the newest version of Yahoo Mail, and hope you find that it delivers a powerful email experience in a simple, intuitive design that’s faster than ever before. We’d love to hear what you think, so please send us your feedback!