Epson announced it has joined the Mopria™ Alliance, a global non-profit membership organization working to promote the expansion of mobile printing. The Alliance was formed to bring together the mobile, software, and print industries with the goal of aligning standards that ensure printing is universally compatible from any mobile device to any printer, anywhere.
"The Mopria Alliance is dedicated to advancing mobile printing to allow busy people on-the-go to conveniently print wherever or whenever, regardless of brand or operating system," said Ian Cameron, responsible for global communications at Epson. "Epson is committed to making printing as easy as possible for its customers, and is honored to collaborate with like-minded organizations to improve how we meet and anticipate customer needs in today's increasing mobile culture."
With an estimated 50 billion connected devices by 2020, the Mopria Alliance is focused on making wireless printing from smartphones, tablets, and other devices simple and standardized. Primary focus areas for the Alliance include:
- Breaking down barriers between brands by eliminating the need for users to download multiple print solutions (print drivers)
- Creating a better, easier and more accessible user experience for mobile printing
- Using Mopria as a way to educate consumers and businesses on the ease-of-use of mobile printing
- Influencing the development and adoption of standards for mobile printing
- Providing an open environment and tools for application developers to incorporate print into mobile applications
In addition, the just announced Mopria plug-in for KitKat complements the core print feature in Android OS 4.4 enabling printing from Android-based mobile devices to many brands of printers. Epson will be working to offer support for the Mopria plug-in and other Mopria standards.
For more information about the Mopria Alliance visit www.mopria.org.